Monday, July 2, 2007

Rawking Out

Ryan Adams, I adore your style.

The following is the oddball rock track from his new disc.

Halloweenhead.

An allegory for falling into temptation. And Hating yourself afterward.


Here comes that sh*t againI've got a halloweenheadHead full of tricks and treatsIt leads me thru the nighttime streetsBlack cats and falling treesUnder ladders always walkingSalt shaker spills just throw it over your shoulder, babeI've got a bad idea again, i've got aHalloweenhead, halloweenheadHead full of candy bagsCostume shops and punks in dragHead full of tricks and treatsPlaces where junkies meetAnd it leads me thru streets at nightThat's alright, i just watch i don't go insideIt's all the same old sh*t againI got a halloweenheadI got a halloweenheadLord, i got a halloweenheadGuitar soloI got a halloweenheadLord, i've got a halloweenheadI got a halloweenheadOh lord, i've got a halloweenheadHere comes that sh*t againI've gota halloweenheadHead of tricks and treatsIt leads me thru the nighttime streetsDowntownDowntownDowntownI've got a halloweenheadLord, i've got a halloweenheadWhat the f*ck's wrong with me, god i'm a halloweenhead.

I wish I could articulate.

5 comments:

betsyann said...

There was a Ryan Adams song on one of my Paste CD's--I liked it--but I heard he was a big jerk in real life. Rumor? Truth? Enough reason to discount him?

Drrty Joe said...

He used to be quite abrasive in person, but he has mellowed out considerably. I base alot of my listening not on the writer's social skills, but on how the songs themselves speak to me. Music is so subjective anyway, I'd hate to have a singer's behavior affect my enjoyment of the art.

betsyann said...

I don't think I can separate the two. I have to feel like I could be friends with the people I listen to.

Trinket said...

I agree with you, Betsy. When I hear that someone is a jerk, it definitely colors my opinion of them. I don't necessarily stop listening to them, and their songs can still touch me, but it's different. Of course, there are probably lots of people I like who are big jerks, and I just don't know it!

Drrty Joe said...

I have to clarify a bit...I don't listen to all music regardless of the artist's ability to be nice...I thought about it in the shower this morning and thought, "What about Pete Doherty? He's a big jerk I don't listen to at all!" Then I remembered hearing stories about Fiona Apple freaking out on stage and thinking, "Wow, she's crazy, but I love her songs." So, I don't know for sure how to go about it, but I'm still going to err on the side of the song for the time being.
(Great discussion!!)