Thursday, September 20, 2007

Hmmmm, Okay.

I'm irritated.

I'm searching for jobs. It's already degrading. I don't need any more bullsh*t judgmental looks from employees when I hand in my applications.

Just now, I turned in an app to a music store, and I waited around forever to talk to someone; passing the time by browsing through severely incorrect hack-job transcriptions of Tori Amos songs and whathaveyou.

The 50ish dude at the counter says, "Can I help you?"

I respond, "Yes, I picked this up and filled this out the other day."

"Oh," he says, with a look trying to disguise his thoughts of, "Are you kidding me? You're not seriously applying here, are you?" before finishing with, "I'll get this into the hands of the Powers That Be."

"Thank you very much!" I said, cheerfully.

I'm wearing nice clothes. I'm cleanshaven. My piercings are tasteful. I work hard. I have the talent to do a multitude of things. Being poor and jobless is wearing me pretty damn thin already Mr. Incredulous Face. Maybe you could put yourself in my shoes, and empathize a little bit instead of being suspicious of my desire to work in your sissy little music store?

Okay, I must get back to work. Perhaps I'll find somewhere more hip to waste my energy on.

3 comments:

betsyann said...

Maybe he was intimidated by your coolness and so reacted. You know, people making themselves feel better by making others feel bad, etc.

Keep on truckin'

Drrty Joe said...

I suppose that is the case:) I have an interview at Barnes and Noble today! Time to make my mark on the Denver job scene!

betsyann said...

Oooh, I don't know. If you work at Barnes and Noble, and Katrina has a reason to go in there all the time...it could be hard to make any money. :)