Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Edge, You're a Genius.

I am a complete music nerd.

Truely.

Watching "Rattle And Hum", and the live version of "With Or Without You" is on, and I'm noticing a secondary feedback part that I've never noticed before.

And now I'm obsessed with it!

Damn you, Edge. Your "musical psychology" working in full effect. Sustaining that erie "D" (or Db, in this version), serves to subconsciously emote that desperate longing that Bono sings.

Baroque period writers utilized this very technique, only we know it as "text painting" in that context.

Why can't more artists make their songs sound like what they mean??

Okay. I'm done. For now.

2 comments:

betsyann said...

I've been waiting for a while to think of a comment, but I'm afraid I just don't listen to music that closely. I'm glad you do though, and share that with the rest of us. :)

Drrty Joe said...

I find myself caught off guard at the things I notice, especially after listening to the same things for years. What a fun thing to happen late at night!