Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Record Labels

I just thought I would chime in on the whole Radiohead-Self-Distribution thing.

A couple of points to consider, fellow musicians:

1. Radiohead has been in existence for about 20 years, and have developed relationships with media, major labels, fans, and distributors.

They are just using their pre-established notoriety as their promotional vehicle. This issue of their website and the band as a record label isn't necessarily "revolutionary" as many press outlets have claimed. They could all get together and fart simultaneously in a secluded room in Liverpool and the world would know, soley based on their previous fame-hood.

2. Bands like Collective Soul, Eagles, and Garth Brooks also use their previously established business relationships to work exclusive promotion/distribution deals.

3. The independent, unassociated artist doesn't have any opportunity to sell incredible volumes of their product without major label help. If I suddenly announced that I was releasing my music exclusively online at www.ihaveanewcdout.com right now, only a select few of you would go there and take advantage of it, because I don't have 20 years of music industry contacts to promote my recordings to the whole world.

Record labels are still relevant, even though their business models are about a century outdated, because they have relationships with major retailers, distribution, marketing, and promotion to get artist's works in to the ears of the general public.

I know this was a long rant, but I just needed to explain what a label does. I can't knock them, because they will eventually figure out a new business model, and I might go work for one.

No comments: